Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Alex’s primary areas of practice are strata governance and construction deficiency litigation. His litigation experience includes:
- Representing strata corporations and owners in all manner of condo governance disputes.
- Obtaining compensation for strata corporations in construction deficiency and 2-5-10 Home Warranty litigation.
- Enforcing bylaws, collecting fines, and obtaining injunctions against strata owners and residents in major nuisance claims.
- Recovering repair costs and insurance deductibles on behalf of strata corporations.
- Collecting strata fees and special levies in forced sale proceedings.
- Representing owners and tenants in residential tenancy disputes.
- Defending strata managers in complaints to the Real Estate Council of British Columbia.
- Representing clients in human rights complaints.
- Representing government bodies in professional misconduct claims.
Alex has represented clients before the Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court of British Columbia, Provincial (Small Claims) Court, arbitrators and various administrative tribunals.
Outside the courtroom, Alex also has experience:
- Advising strata corporations and owners in all manner of condo governance matters.
- Drafting strata bylaws, rules and resolutions.
- Reviewing consultant, contractor and supplier contracts.
- Negotiating and reviewing easement/encroachment agreements.
- Reviewing and submitting 2-5-10 Home Warranty claims.
- Drafting and reviewing tenancy agreements.
Alex also regularly writes articles about strata, construction and franchise law issues.
Prior to joining Lesperance Mendes in 2013, Alex articled at a prominent regional law firm in Vancouver and summered with the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General.
Areas of Practice
- Condominium/Strata Law
- Construction Deficiency Litigation
- Landlord and Tenant Law
- Franchise Law
- Commercial Litigation
- British Columbia, 2013
- Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Juris Doctorate – 2012
- Administrative Law Division Leader and Chair of the Board of Directors of Community Legal Aid Services Programme (C.L.A.S.P.).
- Literary Society Student Honour Award.
- University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts with Distinction – 2008
Publications and Presentations
- Tips for Preparing for Your Claim Against Your Nightmare Strata Neighbour
- Strata Alert: Regulating Short Term Rentals in your Strata Corporation
- Crane Swing and Shoring Easements
- Rental Restriction Bylaws and Hardship Exemptions
- Insurance for Crane and Shoring Easement Agreements: A Cautionary Tale
- The Federal Election – What Strata Corporations Need to Know
- Buyer beware: The Perils Of Cost Sharing In Hotel And Mixed Use Strata Developments
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Vice President of Alex’s strata council
- Canadian Condominium Institute – Vancouver Chapter, Board Member
- Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (British Columbia), Member
- The Canadian Bar Association, Member