Paul is the chairperson of the firm’s condominium law group. He regularly advises strata corporations, strata owners and property managers on a broad range of condominium law issues such as:
- Enforcing bylaws
- Collecting strata property fees and special levies
- Resolving disputes over rentals, leases, contracts and bylaws
- Drafting bylaws and resolutions
- Reviewing consultant, contractor and supplier contracts
- Resolving disputes through arbitration and mediation
Paul is also a member of the firm’s construction defect litigation group and has represented strata corporations and owners in numerous cost recovery actions.
Paul has successfully represented clients before the British Columbia Supreme Court, British Columbia Court of Appeal and Federal Court of Canada. His litigation experience includes:
- Obtaining compensation for condominium owners for the cost of repairing their leaky condos
- Obtaining compensation for condominium owners for cost of repairing buildings that were sinking due to soil subsidence
- Enforcing strata corporation bylaws
- Advising and representing strata corporations and owners in disputes over the use of common property
- Defending a strata corporation on a summary trial application brought by a municipality
- Representing employees from across Canada in one of the first “mass dismissal” class actions in the country
- Obtaining injunctions and seizing counterfeit products to protect and enforce the intellectual property rights of international companies operating in Canada
- Obtaining compensation for independent sales agents in claims for breach of contract in the fashion and sporting goods industries
Paul is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Condominium Homeowners’ Association of British Columbia (CHOA), the Professional Association of Managing Agents (PAMA) and the Strata Property Agents of British Columbia (SPABC). He is a frequent guest speaker on condominium law and governance.
Paul was an instructor in Real Estate Law in the Department of Continuing Studies at Vancouver Community College (Langara). He is also on the editorial board and is a contributing author to Strata Property Law Practice Manual, published by the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia.
Prior to joining Lesperance Mendes, Paul was a senior manager to the high-tech sector with an emphasis on software development and e-commerce.
- British Columbia, 1994
- Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- LL.B. – 1993
- Simon Fraser University
- B.A. – 1990
- Speaker, Topics of Interest to Condominium Owners and Property Managers, Condominium Home Owners Association
- Speaker, Bylaw Enforcement
- Speaker, Contract Law
- Speaker, Construction and Renovation Warranties
- Speaker, Resolution Drafting
- Speaker, Alteration Agreements
- Speaker, Builders’ Lien Holdbacks.
- Contributor, “Joint and Several Liability”, Lesperance Mendes’ Submission
- Instructor, Real Estate Law in the Department of Continuing Studies, Vancouver Community College (Langara)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- The Condominium Home Owners Association of British Columbia (CHOA), Member
- The Professional Association of Managing Agents (PAMA), Member
- The Strata Property Agents of British Columbia (SPABC), Member