Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Sat has appeared before the British Columbia Provincial Court and the British Columbia Supreme Court. His Litigation experience includes:
• Representing strata corporations in multi-million dollar “leaky condo” claims.
• Representing homeowners and contractors in construction and renovation disputes.
• Representing homeowners in property insurance claims.
• Representing companies in contaminated property claims.
• Representing strata corporations and owners in condominium disputes.
• Representing First Nations in litigation related to aboriginal rights and title.
• Representing local governments in bylaw enforcement proceedings.
Sat is also experienced in mediation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution.
Construction Defect Law
Sat has assisted strata corporations and homeowners in claims arising from the defective construction or renovation of condominiums and homes, including:
• Claims in respect of building envelope, structural and mechanical defects.
• Claims in respect of “2-5-10” home warranties.
• Claims in respect of defective home renovations.
• Claims in respect of soil subsidence and other geotechnical matters.
• Claims in respect of misrepresentations in disclosure statements.
• Claims in respect of contracts of purchase and sale.
Sat has assisted owners, builders, contractors, consultants, renovators and government bodies in respect of contract disputes, deficiency claims, builders’ lien claims, delay claims and construction bond claims.
Sat has assisted individuals, strata corporations and cooperatives with bylaw drafting, review and enforcement, collection matters, insurance deductible claims, noise complaints, contested elections and section disputes.
Sat has assisted individuals, companies and strata corporations in respect of homeowners insurance claims, fire loss claims, wind damage claims, flood claims, product liability claims, commercial liability claims and disability claims.
Sat has assisted individuals, companies, strata corporations and tenants in respect of disputes involving contracts of purchase and sale, disclosure statements, lease agreements, rental agreements, neighbors, easements, covenants and rights of way.
Sat has assisted individuals, companies, strata corporations and local governments in respect of bylaw enforcement, zoning disputes, development permit issues and property assessment appeals.
Sat has assisted owners, builders, neighbors’ and tenants in respect of disputes arising from contaminated properties including leaking household oil tanks.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Sat is the Chair of the Canadian Bar Association – Construction Law Subsection. He is also a member of the Canadian Bar Association – Insurance Law and Environmental Law Subsections.
Sat is a member of the Professional Association of Managing Agents and the North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce.
Conferences and Publications
Sat is passionate about legal writing and has written on such diverse topics as punitive damages in insurance claims, amendments to the Limitation Act and the Insurance Act and the impact of the Homeowner Protection Office’s Residential Performance Guide.
Sat has written or presented on a variety of topics before Roofing Contractors International, the Professional Association of Managing Agents and the Condominium Homeowners Association. He has also undertaken in-house presentations at various engineering and property management firms.
Sat completed a Master’s research paper at Carleton University entitled “Potholes on the Silk Road: China, the WTO and Banking Liberalization.”
Prior to joining Lesperance Mendes, Sat worked with two nationally recognized boutique law firms which specialized in municipal and First Nations legal issues. He also worked at the Department of Finance Canada and the City of Ottawa.
- British Columbia, 2007
- University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- LL.B. – 2006
- Carleton University
- M.A. – 2006
- Simon Fraser University
- B.A. – 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association’s Construction, Member
- Insurance and Environmental Law Sections, Member
- Professional Association of Managing Agents, Member