Representation for Employers
At Lesperance Mendes, we provide practical advice and cost-effective legal services to employers in various industries on a wide range of matters. Our team will help you take proactive steps to avoid potential lawsuits and complaints. For example, we will explain when and how an employee may be lawfully terminated and outline your statutory and common law obligations when carrying out the dismissal. We can assist you in drafting employee codes of conduct, internet and email use guidelines, and initiatives to protect confidential information. Our team can assist you in implementing anti-bullying and anti-discrimination policies to ensure a safe, healthy and productive work environment.
We also assist employers to defend claims for wrongful dismissal and complaints made pursuant to the Human Rights Code, the Personal Information Protection Act and the Employment Standards Act.
Our team regularly provides legal services and advice in connection with:
- Drafting employment contracts for new and existing employees
- Assessing whether an employee’s conduct constitutes “just cause” for termination
- Calculating common law notice or severance
- Defending lawsuits for wrongful dismissal and constructive dismissal
- Preparing employee severance packages, including releases
- Preparing non-compete and non-solicitation agreements
- Responding to complaints made to the Employment Standards Branch
- Class action lawsuits following mass layoffs
- Accommodating an employee with a disability or illness
- Creating and maintaining a harassment-free workplace
- Defending complaints made to the Human Rights Tribunal
- Occupational health and safety issues
- Protecting employee’s private information
We encourage employers to review our paper on guidelines for terminations here.